EDUCATION Call-to-Action 4/25/17
#womensmarchflorida SUPPORT PUBLIC SCHOOLS
TOGETHER, THESE BILLS PREVENT SCHOOL DISTRICTS FROM HAVING TO SET UP "HIGH-PERFORMING CHARTER SCHOOLS." INSTEAD, PUBLIC SCHOOLS WILL RECEIVE MUCH-NEEDED ASSISTANCE TO SERVE LOW-INCOME AREAS.
Tell your Senator to vote YES on SB 1552 and NO on 796!
CALL ANITERE FLORES: (850) 487-5039
VOTE YES ON SB 1552 because it eliminates Schools of Hope funding (charter schools like KIPP and SEED with ‘no-nonsense’ conduct policies, that force many students to leave).
SB 1552 will help to:
- attract more teachers to Florida's schools.
- get districts the resources and support they need for schools that are struggling.
- provides districts support and flexibility for struggling schools that includes:
- An additional hour of instruction
- Wrap around community support services provided by a non-profit entity that includes health services, after school programs, drug prevention, college and career readiness and food and clothing banks
- Principal autonomy mostly in the curriculum
Traditional public schools that fail to improve after three years of intensive support still face a choice to either reassign students, close the school and reopen as a charter, or contract as a conversion charter school or with an outside agency to run the school.
VOTE NO ON SB 796 because it creates a High-Impact Charter Management Organization (HICMOs). Charter schools can join the HICMO if they have been successful in critical need areas that serve primarily economically disadvantaged students.
- gives priority to HICMOs for charter grant program funds;
- takes away local district control by granting the HIMCO same legal local education agency status as districts thus sending federal funds directly to charters instead of districts;
- removes the local administrative oversight fee
- eliminates the current requirement for charters receiving two consecutive 'F' grades to close automatically.
Tell your Senator to support SB 1552 and to include continuing funding for at-risk schools. OPPOSE SB 796, the corporate charter takeover bill!
Find your State Senator here: https://www.flsenate.gov/Senators/Find
MARCH 10, 2018 STATEMENT REGARDING OUR SUPPORT OF OUR JEWISH BROTHERS AND SISTERS AND OUR ZERO TOLERANCE TOWARDS ANTI SEMITISM.
December 28th, 2018
Keep Families Together, End the Criminalization of Immigrants
June 22nd, 2018
5/27 WMFL Call To Action Against the State Sanctioned Mistreatment of Immigrant Children and Youth.
May 27th, 2018
MAY 19: HANDS ACROSS THE SAND
May 12th, 2018
Criminalization of Immigrants
March 22nd, 2018
Florida HB319/SB410: The Helen Gordon Davis Fair Pay ActJoin our HeathCare group!Courageous ConversationsSave our Oceans: Ban Plastic BagsTAKE ACTION TO STAND WITH PLANNED PARENTHOOD AND THE ACABan Fracking in FloridaSAVE THE ACAOPPOSE THE AHCABOOK BANNING IN SCHOOLS??STOP Stand Your Ground ExpansionBOOK BANNING FOLLOW-UP