EDUCATION Call-to-Action 4/25/17
#womensmarchflorida SUPPORT PUBLIC SCHOOLS
TOGETHER, THESE BILLS PREVENT SCHOOL DISTRICTS FROM HAVING TO SET UP "HIGH-PERFORMING CHARTER SCHOOLS." INSTEAD, PUBLIC SCHOOLS WILL RECEIVE MUCH-NEEDED ASSISTANCE TO SERVE LOW-INCOME AREAS.
Tell your Senator to vote YES on SB 1552 and NO on 796!
CALL ANITERE FLORES: (850) 487-5039
VOTE YES ON SB 1552 because it eliminates Schools of Hope funding (charter schools like KIPP and SEED with ‘no-nonsense’ conduct policies, that force many students to leave).
SB 1552 will help to:
- attract more teachers to Florida's schools.
- get districts the resources and support they need for schools that are struggling.
- provides districts support and flexibility for struggling schools that includes:
- An additional hour of instruction
- Wrap around community support services provided by a non-profit entity that includes health services, after school programs, drug prevention, college and career readiness and food and clothing banks
- Principal autonomy mostly in the curriculum
Traditional public schools that fail to improve after three years of intensive support still face a choice to either reassign students, close the school and reopen as a charter, or contract as a conversion charter school or with an outside agency to run the school.
VOTE NO ON SB 796 because it creates a High-Impact Charter Management Organization (HICMOs). Charter schools can join the HICMO if they have been successful in critical need areas that serve primarily economically disadvantaged students.
- gives priority to HICMOs for charter grant program funds;
- takes away local district control by granting the HIMCO same legal local education agency status as districts thus sending federal funds directly to charters instead of districts;
- removes the local administrative oversight fee
- eliminates the current requirement for charters receiving two consecutive 'F' grades to close automatically.
Tell your Senator to support SB 1552 and to include continuing funding for at-risk schools. OPPOSE SB 796, the corporate charter takeover bill!
Find your State Senator here: https://www.flsenate.gov/Senators/Find
Keep Families Together, End the Criminalization of Immigrants
June 22nd, 2018
5/27 WMFL Call To Action Against the State Sanctioned Mistreatment of Immigrant Children and Youth.
May 27th, 2018
MAY 19: HANDS ACROSS THE SAND
May 12th, 2018
Criminalization of Immigrants
March 22nd, 2018
1.21.18 POWER TO THE POLLS
January 9th, 2018
Florida HB319/SB410: The Helen Gordon Davis Fair Pay ActJoin our HeathCare group!Courageous ConversationsSave our Oceans: Ban Plastic BagsTAKE ACTION TO STAND WITH PLANNED PARENTHOOD AND THE ACABan Fracking in FloridaSAVE THE ACAOPPOSE THE AHCABOOK BANNING IN SCHOOLS??STOP Stand Your Ground ExpansionBOOK BANNING FOLLOW-UP